Friday, December 22, 2006

SOLSTICE

On December 22nd 2006, after a week of installing the Stellar Map on the Ross Ice Shelf, Lita Albuquerque conducted a performance using an Archimedian Spiral, and 51 volunteers from the McMurdo base. Starting at the center, the participants walked out along the spiral arms to the boundary of the installation taking 10 minutes to complete the journey. The star map around which they spiraled mirrored the sky above on the Southern Hemisphere's Summer Solstice. The event was filmed from a helicopter hovering above.

(Go to http://sophiadia.com/StellarAxisLaunch2.html to view a 1 minute quicktime file of the aerial footage - requires good bandwidth)

Photos by Jean de Pomereu







(Aerial photos: Simon Balm)



1 comment:

deany said...

Hello all,

I’ll start with a Happy Birthday to you, Lita. Yes, we had a bit of Birthday celebration last night (your Southern Birthday) and today Your Northern Birthday, such a hurried exit!

I hope you three enjoyed your gambling stories. Hell it turns out that I sent all 5 of you’s with the same reading. I’ve found a community in ‘The Sun’ where the stories came from.

George and I continue to finish the bottle, we were not it a hurry, then we started another bottle all before dinner. It is great to have friends!!

Jean I hear you made it home to your growing family on the 31st. Cheers! I want to thank you for the photo credit – you make me smile.

Lionel are your hands in the dirt yet? It will be another 7 weeks before I get to see green and put my hands in some dirt.

It was a pleasure to dig dead men, be part of the Solstice dance and to top it all off SantaAntarctica – a true treat to cross trails with you all.

With much love to you all